UPDATE: In March 2022, Meta removed all profile picture frames from its Frames Gallery on Facebook. You will no longer be able to create custom frames for Facebook users to add to their profile photos. The move came after anti-vaccine frames became popular. Now, only profile frames from certain government services or organizations and those providing authoritative information on COVID-19 will be available.
Learn more about Facebook disabling frames here.
Have you considered using Facebook frames on your business page? Facebook’s Frame Studio lets you design custom frames to overlay Facebook Stories, photos and profile pictures. You can use them on your content, and you can also share them with your fans to use.
Frames are similar to Snapchat filters in that they allow you to create visual overlays with text and graphics to promote your brand. The key difference between Snapchat filters and Facebook frames is that there is no cost to use Facebook Frame Studio, and the frames don’t expire unless you want them to.
Why Use Facebook Frames?
Facebook Frames are a great way to spread your brand’s reach. The main purpose for marketers to use Facebook Frames is to create a frame representing their branding or design a frame to promote an event their business is hosting.
Facebook Frames allows your customers to use your Frame in their Facebook Stories, photos or profile image, building awareness for your business.
How to Create a Frame using the Frame Studio
1) Before jumping into Facebook’s Frame Studio, you need to create a design. It is recommended to have a professional designer draw up a few rough sketches on your Frame’s look and then have them make the design on Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. Keep in mind that the background must be transparent.
2) After you finish creating the design, go to the Frame Studio. Click on “Create Frame” and “Get started.”
3) An editor will open up to upload an image file in PNG format. You can choose to create a frame for profile pictures or a Facebook camera. Drag and drop your PNGs or use the Upload Art button to place your design on the page.
4) You can upload several art elements in your Frame (PNG format), and the elements can be resized and moved around. After placing your elements in the desired area, click next.
5) A new screen will pop up where you can name the Frame and link it to the Facebook account or page that you want to use your Frame for, together with a publishing date and keywords.
6) In the advanced section, you have the option to make the Frame visible to everyone or geo-target it to people in a specific location:
8) Hit next and preview the Frame before publishing. After publishing, you cannot take any chances to the Frame. You can only change the time that you want it to appear.
Why might your Facebook Frame get disapproved?
For your Frame to be approved, your artwork cannot:
- Promote illegal products/drugs, weapons, etc.
- Infringe copyright, trademarks and privacy of others
- Use photographs
- Feature promos, commercial or ad-like content
- Use logos or watermarks w/o permission
- Feature low-resolution graphics
- Include links or QR codes
The review process for your Facebook Frame is usually 1-3 days, but it can take up to a week.
How can you and your followers use your Frame?
Once it’s approved, your Frame is available for you and your followers to use.
To share a Frame with your fans, go to Frame Studio’s home page. You can choose the Frame you want to share, click on Sharing and Create a Post. You can also add the text to your artwork and click on “Post”.
Users who want to change their profile pictures with your Frame can manage and view all frames here. Or hover over their profile picture, click on “Update” and “Add frame”.